SIM Swap Fraud: Banking has become very easy nowadays with the changing times. People easily do their work through net banking, credit card, debit card etc. To make payment through all these modes, we need OTP in the mobile number. Due to this, SIM card swap fraud cases have increased nowadays.
The fraud committed by changing the SIM card is called SIM card swapping. In this fraud, criminals replace the SIM card of your mobile with their fake SIM card. For this work, he gets the second SIM issued from the telecom service provider company on one number only. With this, the control of the bank account goes into his hands. He empties the bank account.
Sim fraud is carried out in this way
Cybercriminals use new technology to steal personal information of people. He uses fishing, smishing etc. First of all, they steal your details like mobile number, email id etc. They give you many types of messages like cheap discount offers etc. On clicking on the links sent by them, they ask you to share your details and bank account information.
After this, the criminals of blocking the number linked to the bank account go to the telecom operator and block it by showing a fake ID and get another SIM issued for the same number. Then they start getting all the messages from your bank. Further, all the money from your bank account is transferred to your account. Through SIM card swapping, fraudsters have duped many people of lakhs till now.
Beware of SIM Swipe Fraud and stay cyber safe. pic.twitter.com/oE2p9tnvBr
— Cyber Dost (@Cyberdost) April 19, 2022
Stay safe from SIM card swapping in this way
- Beware of fraudulent methods like phishing, smishing.
- Whenever fraudsters activate a new SIM, then in such a situation the old SIM becomes inactive. In case the SIM is inactive, contact the telecom operator immediately.
- In case of any fraud, change the password of net banking etc. as soon as possible.
- Keep checking the details of regular bank transactions on email as well.
- From time to time, the bank state must be removed.
- In case of fraud, contact the bank immediately.