1. Special utilities
Since summer 2021, support for Windows 11 has been included in the popular CCleaner cleaner . Even the free version of the program copes with the task of optimizing hard disk space better than the built-in tools of the operating system.
2. Recommendations for cleaning
Windows 11 introduces a new feature called Cleaning Suggestions. To use it:
- Press the hotkeys Win + i.
- In the window that opens, go to the “Memory” section of the “System” section.
- Go to “Cleaning Recommendations”.
- Check the boxes for the files you want to delete.
- Click “Clear”.
3. Disk Cleanup Manager
As with previous versions, Windows 11 has Disk Cleanup Manager. To use the utility, right-click on the required disk in Explorer and select Properties from the context menu. In the window that appears, click “Clean up disk”.
4. Move rarely used files
A collection of old photographs or films reviewed every ten years can be moved to another location: to an external drive, to the cloud, or even to another logical drive.
5. Remove unnecessary programs
From the Start menu, click All Applications. Review the list. Surely there are programs in it that you no longer need. Right-click on unnecessary applications, select “Delete” from the context menu.
The built-in uninstall tool often does not work correctly. After uninstalling programs, installation and temporary files, registry entries and other “remains” are often left of them. Many third-party tools do the job better. Freeware utilities include Revo Uninstaller, CCleaner, Ashampoo Uninstaller, Soft Organizer.
6. Disable hibernation
If all other possibilities have been exhausted, you can turn off hibernation. This will delete the hiberfil.sys file, which usually takes up several gigabytes of disk space. This method should only be used in the most extreme cases. To disable hibernation:
- Go to Start> System Tools> Command Prompt.
- Call the context menu with the right mouse button.
- Run DOS command line emulation as administrator.
- In the window that appears, enter the command “powercfg -h off” (without quotes).
- Hit Enter.
7. Increase the volume of the system partition by using another disk
If the system partition C does not have enough space, and logical disk D has a couple of hundred gigabytes free, you can increase the volume of the first disk at the expense of the second. In Windows 11, this is done by the built-in Disk Management tool. Algorithm of actions:
- Press the hotkeys Win + R.
- Enter “diskmgmt.msc” in the text box without quotes.
- Confirm the launch of the utility.
- Select the disk by which you will increase the volume of the system partition.
- In the context menu, select Shrink Volume.
- In the window that appears, specify the size of the space to compress.
- In the context menu of the main section, select Expand Volume.
- In the window that opens, select the size of the allocated space.
- Click on the “Finish” button.